Degenerative Disc Disease
Experiencing chronic neck, back, or limb pain? You may have degenerative disc disease.
Free MRI Review
Treating Degenerative Disc Disease is our area of expertise.
Degenerative Disc Disease is when normal changes that occur within the discs of your spine cause pain.
Spinal discs are like shock absorbers between the vertebrae, or bones, of your spine. They help your back keep flexible, so you are able to bend and twist. As you grow old, they will show signs of wear and tear. They start to break down and may not work as well.
Nearly everyone’s discs break down over time, however, not everybody feels pain. If worn-out spinal discs are the explanation of why you are in pain, you’ve got Degenerative Disc Disease.
What Causes It?
Your spinal discs are made up of a soft inner core and a tough outer wall. The discs change in ways that might cause Degenerative Disk Disease, such as:
- Dry out. Once you are born, the discs in your spine are mostly made of water. As you age, they lose water and become thinner. flatter discs cannot absorb shocks as well. The water loss additionally suggests that less cushion or padding between your vertebrae. This may result in different issues in your spine that can cause pain.
- Crack. The strain of everyday movements and minor injuries over the years will cause small tears within the outer wall, that contains nerves. Any tears close to the nerves will become painful. And if the wall breaks down, the disc’s soft core may come out the cracks. The disc might bulge, or slip out of place, that is referred to as a slipped or herniated disc. It can affect nearby nerves.
Symptoms a patient may experience from degenerative disc disease can include:
- Pain that is local to the mid back, low back, or neck
- Weakness or atrophy in extremities
- Radicular symptoms such as pain shooting into the extremities(shoulders, arms, hands, legs, hips, and feet)
Minimally invasive procedures that may be considered when suffering from degenerative disc disease:
Total Disc Replacement
Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion
Epidural Steroid Injection
Spinal Cord Stimulator
Tranforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion
And Many More
Laser Spine Orlando has helped me become pain free! Their staff is so knowledgeable and friendly, they really made me feel at home. Thank you Laser Spine Orlando for all the help!
- John S
I submitted my information and was called immediately. I was seen by a Board Certified Neurosurgeon within 24 hours. The entire staff is fantastic!
- Joseph R.
Laser Spine Orlando is the only place I've found that has a board-certified neurosurgeon and an equally stellar staff that helps patients through the entire surgical process- Sam F
Laser Spine Orlando has an awesome group of doctors and staff - Cherise N
I want to thank Dr. Molloy and the staff at Laser Spine Orlando for giving me my life back. Before seeing them I could barely walk and my pain didn't allow me to do anything around the house. After my surgery, I was pain-free within a week and was able to care for my husband without the thought of having to lie down and rest due to pain. -Margaret W
The staff at Laser Spine Orlando and Dr. Molloy are extremely professional and puts the needs of the patient ahead of themselves. I was able to get an appointment right away with Dr. Molloy after filling out a form online and within two weeks was able to get a much-needed surgery to help relieve my back and leg pain. I love these guys. -Patricia C.
Why Choose Laser Spine Orlando
Laser Spine Orlando believes in a comprehensive approach to spine pain care. Each patient is treated as an individual with personalized treatment and therapy to achieve their personal goals.
15,000 Successful Surgeries
To put it simply...a lot. Our surgeons have performed over 15,000 successful spine procedures. Each one is board certified and extremely skilled in fighting neck and back pain. We are the leaders in Laser Spine Surgery.
Minimally Invasive Procedures
The best choice for patients suffering from neck and back pain. This form of minimally invasive surgery provides an alternative to regular surgical procedures when other treatment methods have not produced the desired results. Laser techniques offer faster recovery times with fewer complications.
Pain Free Living
That's why we are here. We have a duty to the patient to do everything we can to eliminate neck and back pain. Our newest location in Orlando is equipped to handle the most complex cases. Our surgeons are highly specialized and focused on eliminating chronic pain and getting patients back to a pain free life.